Twinkle, Twinkle

April 14, 2009

Last night we decided to leave the windows open and take advantage of the mild spring weather.
With the lights off in the house, we had a nice view of the yard and sky outside. Gazing out across the night sky, I remarked to Chris, "Look, honey, you can see the stars! That one right there is especially bright. Maybe it's a planet."

Chris, ever the disbeliever, remarked, "yeah, a planet... OR, an airplane. Or a streetlight."

"Hey," I exclaimed, "I am not RETARDED!"

I was pretty sure I could tell the difference between the stars and the streetlights.

Chris looked out the window. "It's an airplane. It's blinking."

Self-assured, I replied, "It's blinking because of the gasses in the atmosphere... of course, planets don't blink quite as much as stars, but..."

"Yeah, it's a planet -- planet Southwest Airlines!"

"No, I'm pretty sure it's a planet... or a star," I insisted.

"Look," he said, "you can see it moving. And... wait... there it goes... and it's gone. I can't even see it any more."

"Oh."

Chris just looked at me, and we both started laughing. In between chuckles, he got out, "You're 'not retarded,' huh?"

0 comments: