Right and Wrong

April 07, 2009

The past few months, we've gotten lots of helpful advice from well-wishers wanting us to have a long and happy marriage. Three of the most common were:

1. Don't go to bed angry.
2. Learn to compromise.
3. Apologize when you're wrong (and sometimes even when you're right).

A few months ago, my lovely husband and I had been discussing the current state of the lawn. I mentioned that we should probably try and get the dog to pee on the dirt, because it was turning the lawn brown in one corner. Chris looked at me like I was crazy.

"Dog pee does not turn the grass brown."

I looked back at him like he was just as crazy. "Of course it does. Everybody knows that. How do you not know that?"

He continued to profess his disbelief and I marched into the house to get the computer. He followed me inside.

"You're looking it up on the internet, aren't you?" he asked.

"Yes," I said, pointing to an article on the screen, "you see? I'm not wrong about this."

To which he said the internet was full of myths and lies and he would certainly know if dog pee turned the grass brown.

Yesterday, my husband came home with an admission. "I have something to tell you... I was talking with one of my buddies about his lawn... and, well, he started complaining about the dog peeing on it. I asked why and he said, 'Dude, dog pee turns the grass brown. You didn't know that?'"

My husband looks at me and says, "So, you were right. I just wanted to tell you that."

Gotta love a guy who's man enough to admit when he's wrong.

0 comments: