Maybe I Should Consider the Flu Shot

November 07, 2009

It's weird to think of "cold and flu" season when the weather is sunny, gorgeous, and a perfect 75 degrees with a light breeze. (Hey, I gotta get my digs in while I can. Summer here is hotter than that place with the fire and brimstone).


But it is. Cold and flu season, that is. I share a house with my husband and 3 roommates. They are ALL sick. To that effect, I have dissociated myself with them and have made 4 new friends:

Vitamins (C and Zinc)
Suppliments (echinacea, airborne, emergen-c)
Handwashing
Antibacterial soap

So far my new friends have been good to me.

It all started, as it usually does, with roommate #1 getting sick. Roomie #1, "Payson," thought it would be a good idea to hang out in the living room and cough while the boys (excuse me, "grown men") were watching football. Payson then, in his infinite wisdom, took some NyQuil and fell asleep on the couch. And snored very loudly. Instead of going to his room, where he could snore in peace and not contaminate the rest of us. (But football was on! Can't miss that!)

Roommate #2 (Let's call him Cue) and The Husband started getting worried about their own health. They didn't come out and say it, but I figured it out because Cue and the husband started taking Vitamin C like it was going out of style. And it takes a lot for a grown man to voluntairly take vitamins.

The next day, roommate #3 (Canook) was complaining that he was feeling ill. The Husband said, "Didn't I tell you to take some of that Vitamin C?"
"I did!"
"Yeah, one time."
"So? You said it would work".

To make a long story short, about the time Payson started feeling better, Cue, Canook and The Husband were feeling worse.

And then it was the weekend.

Do you want to know what brilliant thing happened next? Hmmm, let's see... How about going on a 12 hour car ride with el sicko #1 and #2, aka my husband and Canook. Yes, nothing better than trapping yourself in a car for 6 hrs each way with two individuals who are eating cough drops like candy and blowing their noses every 20 minutes.

I made sure to bring along my 4 new friends. I guess we'll find out exactly *how* good they are to me!

0 comments: